Thursday, November 12, 2015

I have forgotten

I have no idea why I thought I could be choir director.  I have forgotten everything about music theory.  I was figuring it out until in a 6/8 time there are only 4 eighth notes.  What???? So overwhelmed now... I wish I had time to take a class, but how, where, when? Blah...  All I wanted was to pick the music. lol

5 comments:

  1. You will do fine! Just start simple and build up to it. Trust the Lord and consult with Him often. Love you. PS - And be sure to get Set Apart. You need the blessing to do your calling right. If they don't remind you, you remind them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was first choir director, I practiced conducting for several hours every week so I could get not only the basic beat, but also cue or cut-off people. I practiced many, many hours for months. But, because I did that, conducting is easy for me now and I only have to run through a new piece once or twice to make sure I have the conducting down. My biggest beef with choir directors, now that I have to train them, is that they think they can go to a rehearsal and wing a piece. YW Presidents or Primary teachers spend hours preparing for their callings... I don't know why choir directors think they don't have to prepare or practice... they would for other callings. Anyway, you will do great! If you have any questions, call me. The church also has some videos and instruction to help: http://musiccallings.com/music-directors/conducting-101/. I used to google things or youtube things early on in my calling so I could see how other conductors handled things. I hope some of this helps. Also, remember that sometimes there are typos in music. If there are truly only four 8th notes in 6/8 time and no rests... that is an error. But, hopefully there are also two 8th rests to balance it out. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops... the above link isn't the church training, but maybe it will be helpful too. Here's the link to the church one: http://broadcast.lds.org/eLearning/pth/interactive-conducting-course/cm/display/interactive-conducting-course.html#conduct. This one is just basics, but I still found it helpful and make the kids take it with me every two years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If Dad can be ward chorister, you can definitely be a choir director. Lol. Obviously Susan's the real expert, but I'll at least explain 6/8 time to you when you come over.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and Ward music chair is the calling you wanted. Next time... ;)

    ReplyDelete